Saturday, April 15, 2017

Whoops!

Look first, and see if you can see the difference in these two charts, before I tell the rest of the story:

Free from Skyvector:

Free from FltPlan Go:

For reference, the free tool from AOPA omits the detail, too.

The omission by FltPlan Go, the frequency used to reach Tampa Approach when in the northeast quadrant around KTPA caused some slight anxiety in the cockpit today during a flight from X60 to KSRQ.  The frequency can be recovered by calling St Petersburg radio, but even they gave me three frequencies to try.  It was very surprising that I could not raise Tampa on 119.65 when I was northeast of KTPA.  That, I knew, would be the frequency I would last be on before being handed to KSRQ Tower.  I guess comm radios are directional because I had no trouble reaching Tampa once I had the frequency for the quadrant I was in.

Side note, taxiing directly to Dolphin Aviation was not possible today because a twin was disabled on the south ramp just off Taxiway A.  The front tire was completely flat and the nose gear looked a little bent.  Hard landing?  The crosswind component today was 12.3 knots, given Runway 14, winds 09016KT.  My landing was a B+ but I drifted a bit right after getting into ground effect.  My right seat passenger commented, any landing you can walk away from is a good one.  I modified that a bit:  any landing you can walk away from, and not have to call the insurance company, is a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment