Sunday, April 9, 2017

North along the coast . . . .



Today was a lovely little flight up the west coast of Florida, Sarasota to Williston and back.  Airspace around Tampa is Class B, but you can still get reasonably close to the Sunshine Skyway for sightseeing around the mouth of Tampa Bay.  Then basically Tampa Approach wants you to follow the coastline.

Why Williston?  Fuel is $3.25 per gallon and they have a wonderful little grill, Pyper Kub.  Carol and Dave opened it seven years ago.

The excitement today.  Coming home Sarasota Tower put me on RWY 14 with reported winds 08005KTS.  Winds were actually 32013KTS!  It was my first downwind landing ever I think.  I couldn't figure out why this was only a C or C+ landing until I saw the windsock while taxiing back to Dolphin Aviation, and then a regional jet took off beside me opposite the way I just landed!  The whole thing was a little squirrelly.

Watch this for more comment about downwind landings:






No comments:

Post a Comment