Thursday, April 26, 2018

Whups!


The original FUELHAWK fuel gauge that came with Niner Niner Five that I have been using for more than a year was the wrong one!  It is for a C-182 with bladder tanks.  I now have the right one, FUELHAWK C-182/43.5.  Good thing that I didn't ever rely solely on the original gauge.  When the original gauge said 39 gallons I had 36 gallons.  When it said 30, I had 20.  When it said 20 I had 8.  When it said 10, I had 2!

Trust me I will be confirming that the new gauge more closely aligns with the electronic fuel gauges and my own estimations of fuel remaining before I have faith in it.

I feel stupid that I have been using the wrong gauge for a year but I feel good about starting to look closely at what information I was being presented, all instruments, all tools, and comparing.  The reason it hasn't matter before.  I like having half full tanks at minimum at all times and so was never close to minimum fuel.  The reason I started looking closely, I am soon off to the Bahamas and fuel planning will be different, and I imagine I will fly will lower fuel levels than I ever have before.

A good pilot is always learning.  Lesson learned?  Validate everything.  Now how do I confirm my tire pressure gauge is accurate . . . .




No comments:

Post a Comment